Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Last Harvest of Summer 2012

We finally had a hard frost. I gathered up the last of the tender veggies and herbs. In the basket I have frying peppers, bell peppers, basil, parsley, Swiss chard and maybe dill. I also picked a lot of tomatillos, which are hidden underneath.

The parsley and Swiss chard will tough it out for awhile. It'll take much lower temps to do them in. But they won't grow much either.

The frying pepper was almost 5' tall and very prolific. I ended up giving a lot away. The bell pepper only put out a few here and there. I picked 4 or 5 small ones that had just formed.

The tomatillo was a special tiny one. The fruit was about marble size and really sweet. It had a wonderful flavor raw in salads.

I still have some carrots, parsley root, beets, radishes and mustard greens coming along. They will coast along in the cooler temps just fine. My yard doesn't get enough full sun in the winter to merit a full winter garden, but I still try a bit here and there.



No comments:

Post a Comment