Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Updates on all fronts

First of all...
Our little orphan is thriving. And still trying to help me write. Some days she can be quite a challenge.

The garden is slowly coming back into order. I think it will take me every warm day over the winter to reclaim a garden from the chaos out there now. I've got wild berry bushes taking over the hill, walnut trees that I think the squirrels plant and weeds, weeds, weeds. A lot of work to get done over the next 4-5 months.

My dabbling in genealogy has become obsessive. I have to say that having access to all the information on the Internet is amazing. And the information slowly builds a picture. In some cases tracking one person will give me answers to other questions - like when a son marries and the mother-in-law lives with them. That is one of the only ways to track down a maiden name.

The last census released is from 1940. After that I have to rely on less reliable sources...like Facebook. Although, I have to say that some of the census information is a mess. One bad entry was that the Reis family was listed as Rice. Luckily I had all the names and ages of the kids and wife already, so I knew it was them. Or another time when a Katherine (or Catherine or Kathryn) was listed as Ratherine. It does take some digging. And I am really enjoying it.

My writing has stuttered and stalled around the genealogy. I have not been keeping to my schedule. Maybe it's the change of season, but I just didn't have the energy for it. I have made better progress this past week. And I plan to get back to my schedule of writing every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment