Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Yarn by Jon Armstrong

The world in this book reminds me a bit of Blade Runner or Minority Report and maybe a smidge of Clockwork Orange. The world is so potent, so bizarre, that it shapes everything said or done. It is a chaotic, overblown place so foreign that sometimes I felt as if I was reading the 7th or 12th in a series and should understand the references more. It was definitely outside my comfort zone, but still not too difficult to read.

That said, I didn't like the world (just my taste) and I wasn't sure what Tane's goals were. There was a hint of revolution, but not enough description of the world as a whole. I felt that all of the characters were unreliable narrators, and that left me wondering what I might be missing. This felt like the first of a series, but I'm not sure if it is. Also not sure that I would wade into that world for a second round.

No comments:

Post a Comment