Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Lupine, Foxglove and Artichokes

The lupine finally bloomed! I have been waiting for this for years. I started this guy from seed, maybe 3 years ago. Between drought and runner grass it has really struggled. I think the mild winter and wet spring really helped. It was from a mix, so I had no idea what color it would be. Since it is surrounded with yellow irises, this is a perfect contrast color.

I love foxglove. Not only is it a pretty flower, it reseeds itself. This lovely pink one is right next to a white one, and I didn't put either one there! In fact, the original plants are on the other side of the yard. I think the squirrel has been farming again.


Last year's artichoke is forming flowers. That's the part you eat. This stalk will grow up the center and eventually branch. I've harvested about 5 buds from a single stalk. And if I'm lucky, it'll put up another stalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment