Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

Another round of rewrites

After looking over the notes from my readers, I need to work on a few things.


For now, I think I need to let Truth's Enigma percolate for a bit. I might even need to outline book 2 before I replot book 1. There are some characters and situations that are too complicated to drop into the back end of book 1. But since I was trying to gear that book toward one character's story, I lumped it all together. 

The problem is that I have lives in my head, not a story. I have people living and growing and cultures and planets and conflict and crime... And I need to weed through a universe of stories to narrow it down into consumable portions.

So I need to lean on some structure. I need to build a scaffold of storytelling and weave the lives in around it. Otherwise it's just an epic of meandering folks with a lot of problems.

While I was waiting for readers to finish, I started replotting Unintended Consequences. I'm at a point with it that the story is really shaping up. I might need to go full steam ahead on that first. You know, strike while the iron's hot? It had a couple of stumbling blocks - one being setting. I finally decided on an imaginary town. I've taken a bit from several towns where I've lived, so it will be anchored in reality. But creating the where helped other things fall into place.

This is another story that has been kicking around for a while. It started as a screenplay when I was dabbling in that. I think the story has merit. The execution had serious problems. But I'm working through that now.

I will probably juggle working on both. With the colder weather coming on I won't need any garden time.

No comments:

Post a Comment