Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Read widely

Nearly every book on writing says you need to read. Of course, I do. But I think I've become a lazy reader. I want worlds I can fall into easily. I want the kind of story that ends satisfactorily. Unfortunately, I think that has narrowed my vision.

Right now I am reading a book that is outside my comfort zone. I was tempted to give it up, but something drew me on. It's dense and rich and I have to concentrate to get through it. But it has given me incredible insight into things my WIP world-building lacks.

I'm about 90% of the way through and I'm still not sure how it'll end. I've grown to care about the all characters, even the unsympathetic ones. But the world! The world building in this is luscious, and it's placed here, in the real world. I expect to finish this tonight and will have a review for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment