Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Seasonal Food Cravings


One spring I found myself craving hard boiled eggs. Now I am the type of person that believes the body tells me what it wants. When I crave olives or oranges or cheese, I try to give it what it wants. And I try to ignore those yearnings for chocolate, danishes and Key lime pie.

But I very rarely crave hard boiled eggs. Just not on my list of favorite foods. I'm not a big fan of eggs in any form. So I thought about it. And it occurred to me that it was spring and Easter was around the corner.

I grew up with the tradition of dyeing eggs at Easter. We had Easter egg hunts. When you found your egg, you got a prize, which usually amounted to frilly socks for your Easter outfit or pretty barrettes. Then we had a bowl of colored eggs on the table for about a week. Everyone was encouraged to eat them up.

I haven't dyed eggs since I was a kid, but that tradition turned into a craving. There are a couple other foods that surface in their own season. Like tangerines at Christmas. I think that must have been from fruit baskets we received from my father's business associates.

Funny how taste and smell can be so  strongly attached to memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment