Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Fruit flies and garlic

It's fruit fly season. Ugh.

I don't know who told me, or maybe I read it somewhere, but this homemade trap works very well.

Take a small jar (mine is from a local mustard), put in some fruit  (I have peach skins in mine), add a little water and a couple squirts of dish soap. That will kill off the flies that get in. Make a lid with wax paper and a rubber band. Poke a few small holes in the top. I use the tip of a mechanical pencil. If the holes are too small the flies can't get in. If they're too large the flies can get back out.

When the ingredients get moldy or fermenty just dump and replace.

I harvested my garlic.

This isn't the tidiest braid, but it's my first. I finally found an explanation on the web about how to do it. It isn't really a braid. And knotting garlic stems isn't all that easy. But I'm very pleased with how sturdy it is. Last year I cut the greens much too short and had to tie them all together with string.

We're set for garlic for awhile now!


No comments:

Post a Comment