Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Squirrels, moles, voles and chipmunks

I love to watch the little wildlife in my yard. I'm a little too suburban for deer, but maybe it's all the dogs in the neighborhood. However, they really must learn to share!

The very first ripe strawberry disappeared. My lovely row of rainbow chard was mowed down. The mockingbird steals cherries and last year the squirrel stole all of the apples out of the tree. We only had about a half dozen, but still...

I wintered over some artichokes. I was really excited about the possibilities. One of the plants had split out. So that would mean more flower stalks. And then one day it was terribly wilted. The next day it was considerably shorter. When I checked, I saw that something had eaten away the roots and the plant had fallen into the hole. Voles, I'm assuming.

One year I actually saw it happen to a tulip. I was weeding and heard a crunch. When I looked up, I saw a tulip slowly sink into the ground. Very Bugs Bunny-ish.

Not sure what my defense will be against these varmints. I did fence the chard and it is recuperating. Now I need to come up with a plan for the rest of the things I don't want share.

No comments:

Post a Comment