Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The tomatoes are coming in!

The gargantuan tomato!

This may be the biggest tomato I have ever grown - 1 pound 8.7 ounces! Whew! This is the Hungarian Pink that I took a picture of awhile back. All of the tomatoes are coloring up. 

The Italian drying tomato has just about given up the ghost to blight. I will try to find a more resistant one next year. But it has been very prolific. 

There is a new volunteer in the strawberries. I think it might be a plum tomato. Haven't a clue how the seeds got into the strawberry bed. But I let it go since I could use some more plum tomatoes for drying.

The Mortgage Lifter got huge, probably 7'. Then a storm knocked it over and I had to wrestle it back into place. It seems to be recovering in its new configuration. It has given me a couple of ripe tomatoes with a whole pile still green.

The volunteer from the coleus that I potted up took a long break. It is now flowering and fruiting again. The tomatoes are very small, but I don't think it's a cherry. Possibly another plum.

Now when I do my morning rounds of the yard I have 3 kinds of tomatoes, 2 kinds of squash, cucumbers, 2 kinds of string beans and the occasional strawberry to harvest. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment