Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

All gone

So my six-year-old external drive wouldn't work. I called my local computer repair guys. They're great. And they usually do a fabulous job. After an anxious weekend...and Monday...and most of Tuesday, I got the call. They can't retrieve anything.

Yikes. I'm not even sure what was on there. I know I've lost a lot of documents for my pay-the-bills job. All of which I can rebuild fairly easily. But I had a lot of my writing on there, too. And some without backups. Some old photos...artwork...sheesh...I just don't know.

The last time this happened to me I became obsessive about backups. That's why I bought the external drive. And somehow the backups stopped. I just put everything on that drive - to keep it safe.

What was I thinking?

Luckily, I was trying out a cloud storage and had put a few things there. And I had my backups from when I was still doing it. So I haven't lost everything completely. But a lot of my recent work is gone.

A part of me is screaming. Another part of me is contrarily happy for the purge. How weird is that?

So I need to make a new plan - lots of backups and stick to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment