Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Writer's blahs

Sometimes we trap ourselves in a boring sequence without realizing it.

You know that action A has to lead to result B but after it's done you know it isn't working. Even re-reading it is a trial. You just want to get past it to the meat of the story.

Whoa. If it's so boring that I don't want to read it, I can't imagine what my ultimate audience will think of it.

So I went back and looked at the boring bits. Was it just filler? No. Why was it boring? I think it had to do with the lack of action and dialog. Maybe with the lack of realistic interaction between the characters. Also, I had written this piece a long time ago and it no longer resonated with the newer portions of the story. I needed to rev it up.

Once I gave myself permission to scrap the whole thing and start over, the words flowed. And the story flows better, too. It's hard to let go of a big chunk of writing. But I'm so glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment