Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Lilies, lizards and monster tomatoes

This is a wonderful bulb I bought in the grocery store. It was just called Mexican Lily. It is a day lily and quite stunning. The flowers are huge and brightly colored. I don't think it's hardy to my zone, so I dig them up every fall. To make that easier, I put them in pots on the patio instead of in the ground.

This is a picture of one of the lizards that lives in the woodpile. Cute little guy. Nice of him to pose.

This is an update on the Hungarian Pink tomato. They are HUGE. And none of them are even starting to change color. I can't imagine how much this one weighs! You can also see that this tomato plant is starting to show signs of blight. I've been spraying with an organic fungicide, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

The drying tomato has almost succumbed to the blight. I hope all the dozens of tomatoes on it manage to ripen before it wheezes over. It's been very prolific! Since it's lost most of the lower leaves, exposing the green tomatoes, I put a little skirt of row cover to shade the fruit. It seems to be helping to avoid sunscald.




No comments:

Post a Comment