Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

The Storm

Sandy is pounding the east coast as I write this. I have a lot of friends and family in its path. I'm worried about them. And fascinated by the power and size of this storm.

What does it mean that each year we have a bigger storm of "historic proportions"? And each storm is more destructive. The part of me that loves science fiction novels thinks about changes in architecture and infrastructure. What will our cities evolve into when they need to withstand such ferocious pressures?

I'm not a doomsayer. I'm sure we will adapt to new conditions. It might take a storm or two wiping out a city or two for politicians to finally accept the fact that change is needed. Getting a government to move is a slow process. Unfortunately, weather changes are moving faster than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment